Hi, my name is Shannon. I am a recent graduate at the University of Iowa where I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. It is my hope to further my education and/or training in Biblical/Christian Counseling so I may counsel/work in a church someday or be a Biblical/Christian Counselor for a private practice. This past year my boyfriend and I had felt God lay a desire on our hearts to start (or be a part of) a ministry for the homeless. To be more specific, we feel called to feed the hungry, provide clothing and shelter for the homeless, and to be a light in a dark world to those who are hurting. Below I have included our ideas for what God has put on our hearts for ministry ideas. It would be great to get any advice on how to further this ministry or if you know of any resources or organizations that could help us, we would greatly appreciate it. The last question I have is in regards to employment. My boyfriend, Bobby, and I have recently been struggling to find a job/career in which we feel a strong passion for and where we feel God has gifted us. Bobby is currently working as a Salesperson for U.S. Cellular and I am a Residential Counselor for an organization called Family Resources (it is more into the Social Work field, rather than counseling). As I said earlier, I would love to eventually be a Biblical Counselor or even work in a church. I am just not sure where to get my foot in the door so I can make this dream a reality. Do you have any idea how I could do this? Bobby is currently working towards his Bachelors in Criminal Justice. He has mentioned that he would like to be a police officer, but since becoming a Christian he also has a desire to serve in Full-Time ministry in the church as well. Do you have any advice for him? We are both at a phase in our lives where we feel God is calling us in a new direction (whether that is related to school/job/geography) – we are just not sure what direction that is. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I pray God blesses you and your church for being a blessing in my life.
It’s All About You Ministry
Purpose: reach out to those in need and share the Gospel with them; meet their needs
Vision: to see people’s lives changing through the Holy Spirit
Goal: to make a difference in people’s lives by showing God’s glory and
Goals for Ministry:
· Establish Bible studies (Men/Women)(Devotionals)
· Provide food and clothing
· Counseling: Substance Abuse, Mental Health, etc.????
· Reaching out to those in need; being that helping hand (ex: helping people get off the streets and find a job)
· Support Team – for comfort and guidance (always there when people walk in the door)
· Build a team of volunteers/employees
· Food drives
· Donation drives
· Web site
· Support letters
· King’s Harvest in Davenport, IA
· Christian Center in Rock Island, IL
Steps we are/will be taking:
· Getting advice and insight from friends and family, small group, etc.
· Plugging into different ministries at Heritage (our home church)
· Attending classes through Heritage
· Get Bachelors/Masters in Ministry (Bobby) and/or Counseling (Shannon)